Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Idaho Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: Can a landlord make us remove a pingpong table? She statedbthe table can damage walls and must be removed?

4 of us roommates moved into a 4 bedroom house. We are all around 21-25 tears of age. The house is pretty big and we had an empty space to fill so we bought a ping pong table. Well the landlord saw and re received a message saying the ping pong table needed to be removed as it can damage walls and... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Sep 2, 2021

Yes, they can.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: Too long. See below. Tenant, landlord, renting

Okay so I'm renting a room right now as part of a larger single unit home. One of my housemates has some really bad klepto tendencies and I've had to take a lot of my stuff back from him and out of his room after he stole them from my room. Am I allowed to change the lock on my door... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Sep 14, 2020

I recommend that you contact the LL. He has some liability if things from a "guest" are stolen by someone else who is his "guest," so I think he should be consulted, but you DO have the right to change your lock, as long as you let your LL know.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Landlord - Tenant, Probate and Real Estate Law for Idaho on
Q: 3 siblings have inherited the family home. 2 of them want to sell the property and 1 of them does not and wants to rent

out the property. In fact he has rented it out to his stepson in spite of the objections of the other 2 siblings, one of which needs the finances. What can be done?

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Sep 10, 2020

Idaho law provides you an opportunity to sue to "partition" or "buy out" an unwilling owner of their share. You need to tell the remaining, unwilling owner, that if you have to sue to make her sell her "interest," that you will be asking the Court to award your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: married adult living with parents, can the father force child’s spouse to leave the property

let me rephrase and add some detail. my hubs+2sons have been living w/my in-laws since Mar. i receive mail at the address but sleep somewhere else due to PO rules. there’s a verbal agreement between hub and FIL but no lease. we help with housework and groceries. FIL has threatened to call... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Aug 20, 2020

Yes. Father is the "homeowner" and the spouse is a "guest" and so is daughter, so be nice!

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: I live in Washington state at my parents house they kick me out kept all my belongings do I have compensation
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Aug 6, 2020

It depends. Were you renting from them? Did you pay them rent and have an actual rental contract? Probably not. Therefore, it's a "mom & dad" thing, huh?

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 27, 2020

The Mother's Heirs-At-Law are now the owners of the Home by operation of law. Those Heirs have standing to file an Eviction Action for Possession. Hire an attorney to determine heirship and sue for possession.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: can you sue an extended stay hotel for not refunding your money after 11 days when another tenant threatens you?

i was threatened by a neighbor, saying he was going to shoot me, i told the manager and he refused to give me money back.

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jul 16, 2020

Probably not. You have a contract that is between yourself and the Extended Stay Hotel, Inc. If you get a copy of that contract and read the fine print, it probably says that your failure to pay when due is a breach of contract and may not have any exceptions such as "neighbors who threaten... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: Am I allowed to have a weapon in my Idaho apartment?

I am attending BYUI and they REQUIRE me to live in housing that they control. One of the parts of the contract forbids (paraphrase) anything that is a firearm, knife, or anything else that can injure or damage property; and forbids anything that looks like one of those.

The most applicable... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jun 21, 2020

This is an easy answer. BYU Idaho is a private college. They didn’t have to invite you to attend but they did. You accepted their rules. If you want to now pick and choose which of their rules you’ll obey then my guess is that you’ll be expelled very soon! If you could prevail with a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Idaho on
Q: My landlord is keeping my pet deposit for scratches on her door that she showed me. I couldn't see any. I've had people

Over and they could not see any either. I took pictures but my phone got stolen. When I moved out I gave her a demand letter which she did not respond to. She never gave me a letter telling me why she was keeping my deposit. She also never kept my deposits in a separate account. Regarding my... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Mar 15, 2020

It is the security deposit that landlords are NOT entitled to keep. If your contract HAS a provision for a pet deposit, the landlord’s keeping it COULD BE a pitifully slow way for her to build her fortune, one pet deposit after another! But I doubt that. Instead I think that your dear pet MSY... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: Can I evict my tenant in winter for non payment of rent?

Tenant has three children. We don't have signed rental agreement was all verbal did agree to split rent half on first and half two weeks later. She has yet to do this. She never paid in full for January 2017 and has paid nothing in February. I contacted her said I will work with her but she... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 2, 2017

Assuming you follow all of the notice to quit and related procedures, you probably can--but check with a local attorney to see if that's the law in your state and county.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Idaho on
Q: Who is responsible for maintaining a mobile home community driveway. Ours is dangerously icy for tenants and visitors.

We keep our parking / walking areas clear and de-iced but the main driveways into the park are an icy mess. If someone slides off, who is responsible? I'd think the park but can find no published law on the subject.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 12, 2017

Look at your lease--in most cases they are the duty of the mobile home park. Problem is there are virtually no rules or enforcement regulations when they don't maintain common areas.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Idaho on
Q: Am I legally allowed to lock the door to my room if I pay my parents rent to live there(age=20)

I'm 20, almost 21, have a job, going to college, was briefly in the military, came out, had nowhere to go, had to move back in with parents, I pay my mother 200$ a month in rent to live there and she tells me suddenly I can't lock my door because it's her house and disrespectful,... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 31, 2015

You are a tenant-at-will (also known as a month-to-month tenant). Because you don't have a lease, your mother (as landlord) doesn't have to provide a lock on your door and normally you would need the landlord's permission to install one. If you do so anyway, she can evict you.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.