Birmingham, AL asked in DUI / DWI for Alabama

Q: Can you be charged with a DUI if they have no proof that any substance was in your system such as blood/urine test?

I was behind the wheel and had muscle spasms which caused me to swerve around the road and my friend helped me pull to the side of the road. Someone saw this and called 911. The police found a drug on my friend and arrested him but I hadnt taken any of it. I recently started taking an SSRI anti depressant and i personally believe that I had an adverse reaction to it. The police thought I was under the influence of a drug but they had me taken to the hospital where my blood was tested and came up negative for any drugs other than my antidepressant. They charged my friend for possession but they told him that I was charged with a DUI but I never received any sort of citation or was ever contacted about this charge. Is it possible that I was charged and if so, do they have evidence to charge me with the DUI? Could they have possibly lied to my friend about charging me? My license is still at the police station but Im afraid they will arrest me if I go to pick it up. What should do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: You have many questions. Call and ask the cops if you can pick up your license and whether you have been charged.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.