Mount Ayr, IA asked in Family Law for Iowa

Q: I have joint custody of my son per our divorce decree and my son's school wants proof from a judge

The mother told the school she is the primary caregiver. In order for the school to share information with me about my son they want me to ger proof from a judge. Isn't my divorce decree legal evidence that I have the same rights as the mother does as far as my child's care?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: There is a difference between which of you has primary custody and who is the actual primary caregiver. If the former is what the school wants, the decree is what they would need. If they want the latter, the judge probably wouldn't know in any event.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.