Matthews, NC asked in DUI / DWI for North Carolina

Q: A friend got a dui, and on her papers one say's court time 9 am, the other1pm, spelled name wrong,vehicle wrong! case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Dugan
Timothy Dugan
  • Eden, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: NC Gen stat 15A-922(f) provides that a police officer may amend a citation at any point up until final judgment, so long as he does not change the nature of the offense. Whether there are fatal errors on your friend's citations are impossible to answer without seeing the documents first hand.

As to the court times, I would be there before 9AM, and make sure there are not multiple offenses charged requiring your friend to make the 1pm session as well.

Your friend should speak to a DWI Defense attorney to discuss the possible defenses to her case and the process going forward.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended nor should it be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by answering this or any subsequent questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.