Colorado Springs, CO asked in Collections for Colorado

Q: I have a judgment against a former tenant in Colorado. They are now living in Virginia Beach, VA. How do I collect?

Tenants rented property from us while they lived here in Colorado Springs. They moved out before the lease was up and left owing two months back rent. There was substantial damage to the property. We filed a money demand in Colorado Springs, El Paso County Court, and we were awarded a judgment against them in the amount of $8200.00 in June 2015. They are currently living in Virginia Beach, VA. How would we go about attempting to collect the amount due?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Depending what type of judgment you have, you may need to seek a deficiency judgment in CO and than seek enforcement in VA or if you already have the deficiency judgment, you can directly seek enforcement in VA. You may want to contact a lawyer for help (the lawyer can be in either VA or CO).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.