Asked in Employment Discrimination for Colorado

Q: What is my first step in this harassment situation. I need to keep my job I have worked hard my whole life single mom.

I got my dream job in administration. Had the whole office all to myself. Lady who hired me her dad owns the company. She stated to me not too long ago that my billing that I send to her dosent have to be "perfect yet". Been there not even a month. Now one of the managers who is also the top veteran has fought to be in the office with me everyday to " help" me and he does because he has been there so long (9 yrs). At first be just had a couple little comments about me. Now the words have gotten out of hand. I am terrifyied to lose my job or that he will retaliate if I go to the owner. What should I do? Should I bring in my tape recorder? If so should I say something while it is recorded? This manager has even told his wife that I have a nice ass and has invited my kids and I over for Christmas and I guess his wife is coming into the office on Monday to give me something? I think it's money or presents. I have worked so hard for this,, I am so heartbroken..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I understand your predicament and you have my sympathies. I suggest that you contact an employment or employment discrimination lawyer (most offer a free consultation). From your information it is not clear if a cause of action exists yet (I agree the supervisor is acting inappropriately, but his actions are not a clear case of sex discrimination/sexual harassment). Since this is an ongoing situation, I imagine the workplace will either improve (and obviate the need to file suit) or get worse (and improve your case). As for recording, the legality of recording without knowledge or consent depends on the situation. Talk to a lawyer for the specifics.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.