Norfolk, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: Am I able to go in front of a judge to get a restricted license I have fines that are old.

About 5 years ago I got arrested and got some traffic tickets, I did time on various warrants/charges and when I finally came home my fees and fines had been transferred over to some firm with a ton of interest and other fees.

I cannot get work in my area of Virginia , Norfolk without having a license, my fines are in excess of 1900$ and have crippled me and the available jobs that I have. I have tried to fly the straight and narrow since I have been home , don't want to drive my p.o.s. truck and get pulled over, and it has literally been deteriorating my mental stability because I cannot find any job that will actually support myself without being able to make it to work every day.

I don't know if I am able to go in front of a judge to maybe get a restricted license to at least be able to go find a job/work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristin Paulding
Kristin Paulding
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes, you can petition the Court for a restricted driver's license. You may need to present a current DMV abstract to show that you have not been in any trouble in the last few years. The Court may also ask you why you are applying for the license. The Court may be more likely to grant you a restricted license if you have a job lined up.

If you are suspended in multiple cities you will need to apply in each city. Once the Court grants you a restricted license you would need to go to the DMV to get the actual permit. Check out this link for a sample petition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.