Oklahoma City, OK asked in Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Is there some sort of form that can be filled out to get my home out of probate so I can refinance?

My wife died in June 2013. I am still her husband. The title deed states Gregory Cummings and Tracey Cummings, husband and wife, but it is not a Joint Tenancy agreement. There is nothing that states survivor-ship. I am a 100% disabled veteran, and there is no money... I cannot continue to afford my home when my daughter turns 18, and my VA Disability lowers.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler R. Barrett
Tyler R. Barrett
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I am sorry to hear that your wife passed away. Unfortunately, because the home was not in joint tenancy, it will be necessary to probate your wife's estate in court. Only then can your wife's name be removed from the title so you can refinance. Moreover, if you and your wife have children and your wife did not have a will, the children could be entitled to inherit partial ownership in the house. While you can represent yourself, I highly recommend that you hire a probate attorney. The probate laws are very complex, and failure to give notice properly or other mistakes can be costly and cause many problems later on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.