Randolph, NJ asked in Libel & Slander for New Jersey

Q: An ex fiance is threatening to sue me with an extortion letter for monies that were given to me while we were together

He threatened me to take action if not responded in 3 days it has now been three days

An ex fiance is threatening to sue me with an extortion letter for monies that were given to me while we were together many years ago. He said I do not have to pay the monies back and now years later he sent me an extortion letter stating that he will take legal action. Even though I know he has no legal standing I am a little worried because he also threaten to notify my current employers about a past legal indiscretion.

Good news is this was more than 6 years ago and passed the statute of limitations even though there is no case at all. I'm more concerned about him contacting my employer and threatening me to that he will do so.

Looking for assistance Thank you Stephanie

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It is not the crime of extortion if a person thinks a debt is valid asks for repayment and states if the money is not paid back by a certain period that they will take you to court. However it does seem like you may have a defense if he does sue you, but I would suggest that you get a lawyer to make sure you win.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.