Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I live with someone who is now my ex in a apartment with a one year lease. She is controlling and mean but my biggest

Problem is that she is a horder and are living room look like a storage unit with all her stuff. I am not allowed to use any of her things but have no room to put anything in the apartment. I've contacted the managers about breaking the lease but was told that I have to have her sign a roommate release form and she wont. What can i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert L. Mauger Jr.
Robert L. Mauger Jr.
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: There's probably nothing you can do with respect to your lease and your obligation to pay rent to your landlord--the only exception is if her "controlling" behavior becomes the basis for a stalking or restraining order, and then you may be able to break your lease or force her to move. Without knowing more, it's impossible to know if that will work. Also, you can perhaps bring a claim against her in small court for your lost value in not having access to a fair share of the rented property. It's also hard to tell if you're likely to prevail on that claim. You might want to consult with your own attorney to discuss the matter in more detail and explore these and other legal options. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.