Peterborough, NH asked in Business Formation for New Hampshire

Q: I am trying to register my own company, make it e-verify, and extend OPT STEM. Does it need to be a Corporation or LLC?

Hello and happy New Year to you!

I am a graduated STEM international student and currently working under OPT status. My OPT time is up around mid-February and I need to extend my OPT. The company I am working for is an E-verify staffing company but unfortunately because of the upcoming OPT laws there are not willing to provide me the Employer E-verify code that I need ( to fill in I-765 form) to send along my application for extension (maybe because the proposed new law says that they need to provide me training and pay me the same amount other are getting payed with the same degree and skills. I have masters in Mechanical Eng).

So I am taking another route

After my research I figured out that it is possible to start my own company, make it e-verify and and apply for extension. But I couldn't find the answer if my company needs to be a Corporation or a LLC would also do it

I greatly appreciate your answer!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Based on your question and facts, an LLC would seem better...however I strongly suggest you talk an attorney in the your state for the proper registration procedures...there are many things you may miss if you try to do it yourself all to your detriment. Always best to let a professional handle certain sensitive and important matters such as this!

Visit for updates and listing of my services!

Disclaimer: Any information provided above is for educational purposes and is not intended to provide specific legal advice.

A: If you need help with the immigration part of your question you can contact me. I am an immigration attorney!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.