Sun City, AZ asked in Education Law and Employment Law for Arizona

Q: How can I get out of my school psychologist's contract with a school district in the middle of the school year?

I am under contract with a school district in Phoenix, AZ as a school psychologist. My employment has become very stressful this year and I am becoming ill too frequently. I'd like to leave my position because we do not have any short-term disability benefits, so if I went on a leave of absence under FMLA (or other approved absence), I would not be paid. At least if I quit, I can find another job. However, I heard I can be sued for breach of contract and would not receive the earned portion of the balance of contract (the money that is paid out for "summer pay") that I have already earned. Is this true? I thought if we were an "at will" employment state, you could be fired or quit at any time. What typically happens to one who breaches the contract with a school district?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Hard to advise on a contract without reading the agreement. Check with an employment lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.