Asked in Wrongful Death and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: Is it possible to get a case re-opened from 1979? Deemed a accident but it was murder.Happened at a cement plant..

My sister and I know things from conversations and actions, know who motive and why. I have contacted Teamsters Union for records..shredded, SAginaw Police dept.....schredded but i did get sent articles from the library that contradict what we were told how he died. so my next step is take these articles to my local cement plant here and ask them if this even sounds right, or if it could happen like that. What can i do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: I believe criminal murder cases can be reopened. Might be too later to bring a civil claim, but check with a local criminal defense and/or injury lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: A criminal case could be but that's up to the DA. You can't bring a criminal case. (Couldn't be if someone was tried for it--they are protected by the double jeopardy clause--however that wouldn't apply to a different person).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.