Schertz, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Do I have to serve the full sentence of my deferred adjudication probation if I have completed all requirements?

The case I was originally prosecuted for was in Travis County for a State Jail felony Theft by Check. I've meet all of my requirements however I was told by my probation officer that I would have to remain on probation the full length of my sentence unless I hired a lawyer and requested early dismissal. I am uncertain if what I was told was the truth. Is there any other option that I'm not aware of?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher M. Lankford
Christopher M. Lankford
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Early dismissal is granted by the Judge, not the probation officer. For that reason, you need to hire an attorney to motion the Court for early release.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.