Belleville, IL asked in Immigration Law and Military Law for Illinois

Q: Is there a way to apply to remove condition on my green card early? or any other options?

My husband is active member in the military and currently have a remote order going to korea this April 2016, I am a conditional resident and my son is us citizen) only been here for a year (got here Jan.05, 2015) and having only one car i wasnt able to learn how to drive, now that my is PCSing to korea unaccompanied our only option is to go back to my home country (Philippines) with that being said I wont be able to file for my removal of condition for my green card because we will be staying temporarily back home until his orders come to end (April 2017) I wanted to know what are our options so I wont abandoned residency and wont go through all the I-130 process again. i hope someone can give me an advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: You can get a re entry permit which will allow you to stay out of the US for 2 years without abandoning your green card. Being a green card holder for one year might make the removal of conditions petition a little hard but you should talk to an attorney to get you started with the procedure as soon as possible so you can get it approved before your husband leaves to korea. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the consultations and talk to an attorney soon. All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates -

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.