Denver, CO asked in Social Security for Colorado

Q: I hired an attorney to help with my sons SSI appeal. Is it possible to change attorneys if I'm not happy with my mine?

I am waiting for a hearing, but haven't heard from our attorney for over a year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Wow, over a year! No hearing wait time lasts for over a year... Yes, you can fire your lawyer. This can be done by calling or mailing a letter to your lawyer stating that you are no longer interested in their representation. Make sure to request all your client files (you cannot be charged). You will have to pay fees for work already completed. If you have another lawyer you want to hire you may want to let the new lawyer handle the termination (esp. if the old lawyer hands you an unexpected bill or charge).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.