Colorado Social Security Questions & Answers

Q: after being married for 22 years, and divorced almost 5, can I claim any SS from my ex husband. I am 55 years old.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Social Security for Colorado on
Answered on Mar 10, 2017
Stephen J. Plog's answer
This is a questions probably better suited for either the SS administration or a social security attorney. That being said, my understanding is that if you have been married for a certain amount of time and have paid into SS for 40 quarters on your own, you can elect to either draw SS based on your own or can elect to draw under your ex-husband. I believe in that instance you could draw up to half of what he gets, which doesn't affect what he gets at all. The divorce court has no control...

Q: Can I apply for half my ex's soc sec at 66 and defer applying on my own. Never remarried/married over 10 yrs.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Colorado on
Answered on Oct 31, 2016
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
This a complex question that cannot be answered completely on Justia. It is recommended that you make an office visit at your local Social Security Office (expect a wait--reserve a time if possible) or contact a social security/estate planning attorney. To answer your basic questions, it is possible to claim spousal supplemental benefits from an ex spouse if you were married for 10 (or more) years to the person. Also, you generally cannot claim both spousal supplemental benefits AND regular...

Q: how do i go about getting my payee removed and my benefits coming directly to me?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Colorado on
Answered on Jul 25, 2016
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
This can be done at your local Social Security office or potentially online at social at . Note, if you have an impairment that prevents you from making decisions without assistance, there will be additional steps (but you can still remove a payee).

Q: Need advice for up coming appointment

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Colorado on
Answered on Apr 19, 2016
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
The best advice is to be honest. Since the Justia Q&A is not privileged (because no attorney client relationship exists), coaching cannot be provided. I recommend that you bring all relevant medical and SSD documents with you - you probably won't need them, but you never know...

Q: I hired an attorney to help with my sons SSI appeal. Is it possible to change attorneys if I'm not happy with my mine?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Colorado on
Answered on Jan 19, 2016
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
Wow, over a year! No hearing wait time lasts for over a year... Yes, you can fire your lawyer. This can be done by calling or mailing a letter to your lawyer stating that you are no longer interested in their representation. Make sure to request all your client files (you cannot be charged). You will have to pay fees for work already completed. If you have another lawyer you want to hire you may want to let the new lawyer handle the termination (esp. if the old lawyer hands you an unexpected...

Q: Why would a Social Security Appeals Judge ask for college transcripts

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Colorado on
Answered on Oct 23, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Depends upon what the appeal is about. If it has something to do with employability, transcripts might be pertinent.

Q: If mom is aged 62, receives SSDI, and then reaches retirement age, will she get her social security $ ON TOP of the SSDI

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Colorado on
Answered on Feb 18, 2012
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
If your mother receives Social Security Disability, then she is already receiving the maximum amount of her benefits and she will receive no more benefits when she reaches retirement age.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.