Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I was arrested and incarcerated in Feb. 2015. My landlord knew of this, and re-rented my house with all of my belongings

still in it. I've filed a lawsuit against him for Return Of Property, but he has a lawyer that said someone else got rid of my belongings, and said that he will bring up my criminal history in court to say that I am not a credible person. Help me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert L. Mauger Jr.
Robert L. Mauger Jr.
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It sounds like the landlord definitely has some exposure, but clearly aren't taking you seriously. You should contact an attorney who can review the facts. If you're the prevailing party, you will be entitled to twice your actual damages and your attorney fees. I'm skeptical that your criminal history (unless for fraud) would be relevant or introduced in a civil proceeding. If you've already begun the proceedings, there are likely deadlines so you should act quickly. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.