San Francisco, CA asked in Personal Injury for California

Q: how to calculate pain and sufferings payment? can medical bills from public hospital facilities be used to multiply x?

can medical bills from public hospital facilities be used to multiply x =1-10?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Carr Suits II
James Carr Suits II
  • San Jose, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There is no mathematical formula to "calculate" pain and suffering damages. You need to consult with an attorney to get an analysis of your potential damages claim. Medical bills from public hospital facilities are valid economic damages, just like medical bills from other types of facilities. However, there are issues regarding the total billing versus adjustments due to health insurance payments, as well as other problems that arise. In general, the higher your medical expenses, the higher the settlement value of your claim, but there is no set formula for the relationship between the two. Insurance companies use algorithms to determine settlement value, but those algorithms are not based on the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.