Asked in Nursing Home Abuse for Colorado

Q: Can a nursing home tell family that they cant come see their family

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Tristan Kenyon Schultz

  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Yes and no. A nursing home can restrict access or prevent access at the request of the person being cared for (assuming they do not have impaired judgment), but they cannot wholly bar access without consent of the person in care or a compelling medical reason (e.g. contagious disease). If you suspect elder abuse you can contact your local county (all counties have an elder abuse division), local police, and/or a lawyer.

Michael Brevda

  • Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: A nursing home can prevent a resident from seeing certain family members if they are a threat to the resident, but that rarely happens. If your family is being prevented from seeing your loved one, you should report that to your local state agency that deals with nursing home abuse. The NCEA has a great elder abuse agency locator resource -- here is the link:

Good luck,


Adam Studnicki

  • Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: More information is needed about the specifics. Talk to a local elder law lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.