Colorado Nursing Home Abuse Questions & Answers

Q: I worked as a CNA at a nursing home and, due to misunderstandings, transferred a client wrong. What should I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Nursing Home Abuse for Colorado on
Answered on Mar 20, 2017
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
Based on your facts, I do not see how a neglect charge reach trial. You should contact a criminal law attorney. In the alternative, you likely qualify for a public defender.

Q: What about my moms rights ? They won't even let me see my mom in nursing home

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Nursing Home Abuse for Colorado on
Answered on Feb 12, 2017
Ben F Meek III's answer
You need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. If you can't afford one, contact legal aid organizations in your area. You might also contact the state bar association where you live and ask about pro bono services. Human services didn't get involved for no reason but that doesn't mean they have complied with the law or properly respected the rights of you or your mom. If there is a conservator that has failed to collect your mom's benefit checks, that is a breach of fiduciary duty for...

Q: Can a nursing home tell family that they cant come see their family

3 Answers | Asked in Nursing Home Abuse for Colorado on
Answered on Jan 25, 2016
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
Yes and no. A nursing home can restrict access or prevent access at the request of the person being cared for (assuming they do not have impaired judgment), but they cannot wholly bar access without consent of the person in care or a compelling medical reason (e.g. contagious disease). If you suspect elder abuse you can contact your local county (all counties have an elder abuse division), local police, and/or a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.