Medford, OR asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Oregon

Q: Hi, I have a question regarding a child passport.

I have joint custody of my son (he is 8) with his paternal grandparents. They want to renew his passport to travel to Florida. However, he lives in Ontario Canada and although I lived there for years, I recently moved back to the US because I can't work etc in Canada. I am not there to sign for my son's passport and I do not want to. The reason is because my son's grandparents will not bring him to the US to visit me and yet, they take him to Florida up to two times a year. Them knowing it would be in my son's best interest to visit me, they still say no that he will not cross the border, I must go to Canada if I want to see him. Our agreement says I can't bring him to the US without obtaining permanent residency in canada but it does not say if I move back to the US that he can't come visit me. Is there any backlash towards me if I do not sign the form for the grandfather to get my son's passport? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: We have to see the complete agreement before we can advise you on this matter. Just going by the facts you have provided there seems to be no problem with it but there may be something mentioned in the agreement that you have not disclosed here which might cause a problem for you. I suggest talking about this matter to an attorney in private. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the consultations. All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates -

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.