Asked in Divorce for Washington

Q: If my wife has filed some, but not all divorce papers, can we make amends to those already filed?

We now agree on certain provisions, and would like to change them ourselves.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
  • Burlington, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Are either of you represented by an attorney? If not, and if your divorce is not yet final, you can modify some provisions, but you may benefit by an attorney's advice. Most Washington counties have county-wide bar associations, and most of those have websites. You can also call a local attorney to find out if there is a legal referral service in your area, You might also want to look at which is a free resource with a lot of self-help resources.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.