Asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: How I amend my separation agreement? Can I file in a different Virginia county? Must I have a lawyer?

I finalized divorce in 2013 in Bath County VA. My circumstances have changed and I must amend this agreement. Doubtful my ex wife will go along willingly. I live in Bedford, VA now. Where would I file? Can I file by myself?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas H. Roberts Esq
Thomas H. Roberts Esq
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: A: Bath County, and Yes. Explanation: First - issues related to child support remain subject to the jurisdiction of the court irrespective of any agreement between the parties. To obtain a change in such a order, you must show a "material change of circumstances." And the court will only modify the order back to the date your petition was filed with the court. Now with respect to other matters, if you have a "separation agreement" then you presumably entered a legally binding contract which was probably incorporated into the final decree. Unless the agreement provides for modification in the event of a change of circumstances, you may be stuck. On the other hand, should you fail to abide by the terms of the agreement, you may be able to convince the court that your failure is not on purpose and that you should not be held in contempt of the court order which incorporated the agreement into the divorce decree. Finally, if you are confused, and you do not actually have a "separation agreement" then you may file with the same court seeking a change in the court ordered spousal support. You probably have to file in Bath County - see § 20-88.39 Continuing, exclusive jurisdiction to modify child support order. A person always has the right to represent himself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.