Salt Lake City, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: 1) Can one parent pay the entire cost of health insurance premiums for the child?

2) When stating the alternative tax year exemption for the child involved, what constitutes odd and even years? Does the year you earn the income or the year you file the tax return?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel Sorensen
Samuel Sorensen
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: 1) Yes, although the default provision in Utah law provides for the parties to split the cost of insurance.

2) Good question, it is usually the tax year. So, if you are filing your 2015 tax return in 2016, that is an odd year (because it is the 2015 tax return).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.