Grosse Pointe, MI asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Domestic Violence an child abuse as retaliation to a child custody case.

So my ex claimed I hit her, she called the police, the police came to the residence and took me to the station for approximately 4 hours. I was released and told by the officer that the prosecuter has declined charges and the case was closed. In the next few days, we broke up after she found out i started a child custody complaint. She refused service and about 2 weeks later me and my attorney were able to get alternate service and a motion hearing date. About a week after she was served via certified mail, I get a letter in the mail stating that domestic violence and child abuse charges have been authorized and there is a warrant for my arrest. I never touched her that night let alone abuse her or my child. We did get into an argument and I told police that. Is it acceptable to retaliate to a child custody case by filing domestic violence and child abuse charges? And my defense to the argument in the first place is because she yanked our child out of my arms and made him cry.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Champion
Robert Champion
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plainwell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need an experienced criminal defense attorney now. The prosecutors determined there is enough for a warrant. An attorney will be able to discuss the details of the case and sequence of events with the prosecutor, and attempt to get the case dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.