Palmdale, CA asked in Personal Injury for California

Q: How can I find out if a person has already been sued for the same thing in the past.

I tripped on a side walk that was pushed up by a tree root. I was told this person has already been sued for this same thing in the same spot. I need to find out. How can I do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James R. Lewis
James R. Lewis
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I suggest you call the local county superior court. Palmdale is in Los Angeles county, so there is a local LA Superior Court branch you can call to speak with the civil clerk to search for other lawsuits against this person. You could also search through the court's website, and there is a fee associated with searches.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.