Lansing, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: What to do if I have warrants but don't want to face any jail time because I am pregnant?

Currently 4 months pregnant but have a few warrants out for failure to appear, dwls, and was told disregarding a stop sign. I am VERY nervous about speaking with the magistrate because I'm worried I may have to face jail time. What is the best way to handle this situation? I only owe a little over $200 in order to get my license back per a representative from Driver's Responsibility but I'm unemployed right now as I've just moved back to Michigan.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Champion
Robert Champion
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plainwell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area. They can review your case with you, contact the court and the prosecutor to determine the charges and the warrants. They can also coordinate a time for you to turn yourself in and be arraigned (if this is coordinated, you will spend less time in jail).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.