Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Michigan Traffic Tickets Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Should I fight a MI 257.602b case for using my phone as a map while driving? It was not affixed to the vehicle.

I received a ticket in Ogemaw County, MI for holding my phone to use it as a map/gps (as remarked on the citation). I was cited under the texting and driving law that specifies "a person shall not read, manually type, or send a text message on a wireless 2-way communication device that is located... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 2, 2019

I think where you'll run into trouble arguing in your defense is that while holding your phone, it was not affixed to the motor vehicle - regardless of what was on your screen.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: 257.653(1)(B). Misdemeanor: failed to yield to emergency vehicle. Am I going to get the max penalty?

Police officer arrives at intersection with visible and audible sirens. During this, I passed a green light in a 4 way intersection but stopped near police vehicle. Emergency response passed at my back soon after I passed. This is my 1st offense. Would I get a maximum of a $500 fine and 30 days... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on May 25, 2019

Likely not. Although you should certainly consult with a local attorney. It is very possible to achieve a more pleasant result through skillful negotiation with the prosecutor.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Dear Sir, This is first time of misdemeanor. I got a clean record. Am i going to jail?

Mark Bredow answered on May 22, 2019

That is very unlikely. Depending upon the seriosness of the offense, If you plead or are found guilty, most 1st offenders pay a fine, and may have probation. You may also be eligible to have the misdemeanor dismissed orreduced to a simple non criminal traffic citation. It's always a good idea to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Got a parking ticket in a no parking zone In AA. I thought parking tickets were not issued after 5pm. Help, can’t afford

Brent T. Geers answered on May 15, 2019

Some metered parking may not be enforced after a certain hour, but parking rules in general are enforceable 24 hours a day but any authorized person.

You will need to contact the court to see about a payment plan. DO NOT ignore the ticket. People have been unceremoniously arrested when they...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Are you at all familiar with "Ticket Fundraising" issue in Taylor, MI - any recourse for issuance of false tickets?

Husband was pulled over, officer said for speeding but he was not speeding, then said he would "do him a favor" and write the ticket for a parking violation (no points) - he was not speeding, and he was certainly not double parked on I-94 in Taylor... similar reports seem to say trying to fight... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on May 9, 2019

If you fight it - i.e. demand a formal hearing - the officer could come to court and say "you know what, you're right. I should have actually wrote the ticket for 20 over". Then what? Unless your husband can overcome the presumption of evidence, he might be stuck.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: I got a speeding ticket with incorrect info on it. The Name, date of birth, address is wrong. Can I get this dismissed?

The only thing that is correct on the ticket is the Vehicle plate number. Should I fight this in court or contact the officer's supervisor?

Frank B. Ford answered on May 9, 2019

Probably the best way to approach this is to ask for an Informal Hearing. When you go for that, you can tell the Magistrate about the mistakes on the ticket, but even before you do that, talk with the officer, who should be there for the hearing, and see if you can reach an agreement that will not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Must police ask reasonably related questions related to the purpose of the traffic stop for an equipment violation?

Illega I was pulled over by the state police and got in trouble. I turned the corner with him coming towards me and he immediately turned around and pulled me over. All that was asked was for my papers, and 'how much have you had to drink today cause I can smell it.' End of story. Not a clue why I... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on May 6, 2019

Interesting question, and I can tell you did some research. The limits expressed in Terry v. Ohio don't apply when driving a car. Police can pull over a car for any number of reasons, and once stopped, can inquire as they did in your case. I would note that you didn't have to answer the question... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: I live in the State of MI. How should I plead for not stopping in time for a school bus? I was on the opposite side.

I was in front of my house, on the opposite side of street where the school bus was, and about to turn into the driveway ahead and drop my youngest off at his bus stop. I explained to the officer that I had a lot on my mind at the time, causing me to not realize the red lights were up on the bus at... Read more »

Mark Bredow answered on Apr 23, 2019

Call the Court and ask to set the matter for a "formal hearing". Go to the Secty of State and get a copy of your full driving record and take it with you to court. Sit with the City Attorney handling your case. Explain what happened, show her your good driving record and ask them to reduce the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: I have 4 traffic tickets from 4 years ago right before I went off for college. Now I have warrants what do I do?

Mark Bredow answered on Mar 20, 2019

Much depends upon what infractions are in those tickets. If they are only civil traffic matters, you have probably been defaulted and are responsible to pay them. However, some tickets are actually criminal misdemeanors which are punishable by fees, fines, costs, and depending upon the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: I’m 16, Ilive in Michigan, I got pulled over for doing 70 in a 55 but only got a ticket for going 1-5 over.

Will I get my license taken away? Do I plead guilty?

Mark Bredow answered on Mar 18, 2019

Probably not, but you should definitely contact an attorney who handles traffic matters near you. Hire him/her to set this matter for a hearing and to appear with you at the hearing. If your record is otherwise clear, he/she may be able to resolve the case with no points and no record. It is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Speeding ticket, need avoid guilty because of my insurance rates!! is there a way to go thru the court, pay fee

Enter some kind of program to have it dismissed, would paying lawyer get me off? What is reality of it?

Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 11, 2019

Insurance companies set rates based on a number of factors, not lest of which is your driving record and self-disclosures. A speeding ticket is a civil infraction (assuming the speed and conditions did not reach the misdemeanor criminal level). You will need to request a formal hearing, at which... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: My car was stolen in Michigan and I reported it the same day.

I was notified on a Friday by the 12th precinct that my car was recovered on Thursday (the day before) and now was in their custody at a tow yard. I had to pay almost $300 to get it back, but shouldn’t I have been notified the Thursday they found it so I could have the option to tow it to my home... Read more »

Mark Bredow answered on Mar 5, 2019

There is no statute which requires the police to notify you that quickly or that requires them to leave the vehicle where it is found, notify you, and wait for you to tow it. It could be in a dangerous place, on someone else's property, or pose a risk to traffic. They tow the vehicle to secure it... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Got arrested for driving without insurance, can I sell my car to pay the ticket before my court date?

I got arrested for driving without insurance in the state of Michigan but didn’t go to jail, I got released. I got my car out of the impound, I have a court date in about 2 weeks. Can I legally sell my car to pay off my ticket before the court date? Or will I get in more trouble for selling the... Read more »

Frank B. Ford answered on Mar 2, 2019

So far as I know, there would be nothing preventing you from selling the car. If you keep the car, however, be sure you get insurance on it before you go to court, and take the proof of insurance coverage to court as soon as possible. If you can't do it before the court date, take the proof with... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: I was in an accident yesterday and had a blood level of 2.98. This will be my second offense and I’m really worried

I ended up totaling my boyfriends new truck and going to the hospital. I was not in the right state of mind when the cops talked to me and might have jeopardized myself. I had also taken two cbd gummies which is why I was drowsy. 4 years ago I got charged with an owi so this will be my second... Read more »

Frank B. Ford answered on Feb 21, 2019

You definitely need an attorney to help you with the situation. The information here does not indicate where this happened, which can affect how to approach the case, the cost for legal services, and who might be a good choice of attorneys. I think it would be better if you called me, or some... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Litigation for Michigan on

Q: I need to take care of a 14 year old traffic for driving on suspended license what's my options

Frank B. Ford answered on Feb 7, 2019

Contact the court to see if there is a warrant for your arrest. If so, find out what the amount of the bond is. You would normally then have to go to the police department, but sometimes directly to the court, to turn yourself in on the warrant and post the bond, and get the charge set for a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: I received 2 tickets and a warning. I was not in the vehicle. I was at home sleeping. What do I do?

My son was pulled over with a friend in my car. The cop ask for his registration proof of insurance and licence. My son gave home his licence and the vehicle registration. He couldn't find the proof of insurance. The cop said that ok they can look it up. He then asked my son if they could... Read more »

Mark Bredow answered on Jan 11, 2019

You did not mention the specific citations that were issued. However, most infractions, including defective equipment violations are issued to the driver, not the owner. It is an infraction to drive a vehicle that does not comply, not to own one. There are citations that can be issued to an owner... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: I received a running red light ticket but the name on the ticket is not mine it's the owner of the vehicles do i pay it

I am listed as a licensed driver under the insurance of the vehicle the ticket is not in my name it is the name of the registered owner of the vehicle that was not even in the vehicle with me.

Frank B. Ford answered on Dec 9, 2018

You need to contact the police department that issued the ticket, and ask them to dismiss the ticket and re-write it in your name. If you just pay it, the other person will get points on their record that they don't deserve. In being honest about it, you may actually help yourself by getting the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: How do you request a court appointed attorney for a traffic violation?

Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 23, 2018

You don't get one unless what you're cited for is a misdemeanor (versus a civil infraction), and you have the possibility of jail.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Will I be able to use an emergency situation defense?

I have an 8 year old daughter who is highly allergic to bees. She was stung by a bee 20 miles from the nearest hospital. She waited ten minutes before telling me she was stung by a bee. I had epi pen for her but I did not think I could use it ten minutes after the initial sting. My boyfriend was... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 15, 2018

Your boyfriend is fortunate that all he received was a speeding citation; he could have received criminal charges. Given the circumstances, though, and the fact that he wasn't criminally charged, it may be worth his while to obtain local counsel and request a formal hearing on the citation to see... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Michigan on

Q: Traffic Crash

Hi i involved in a traffic crash ticket after red light jump that got 3 other cars affected excluding mine.Police came to scene and gave me signal jump ticket. The Description says Disobey traffic signal with c&I checked only. The police confirmed that there were no injuries reported but there is... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 2, 2018

Doesn't sound like it. Criminal charges could result if alcohol or drugs were involved, or you failed to stop and report, or you somehow intentionally or recklessly did this. None of that appears to be the case here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.