Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Criminal Law and Divorce for New Hampshire

Q: My wife and I separated, she moved to another state and we had a parenting / divorce plan signed by us both and filed

with the court, although to my knowledge it hasn't been signed by the court yet. She showed up at my house late at night intoxicated (drove herself) with our daughter sleeping upstairs, grabbed her wedding dress & set it on fire in the backyard then assaulted me and my brother. She was arrested on DV charges and a protective order issued on her release. Does she also get charged with child abuse because our daughter was in the home? Any advise would be appreciated, since she is threatening to have a wealthy friend provide a high power attorney and "take me through the wringer". I live in NH and she in Vermont now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra
  • Nashua, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: It sounds like a very fact-specific situation. What exactly is your question? Child abuse is a criminal charge which would be determined by the police.

If you're wondering how these events could affect child custody, you should speak to a family law attorney. Such an event could certainly be grounds for a modification of child custody.


There are several attorneys at my firm that specialize in family law matters. If you have a specific question, please feel free to contact us. You can contact me through this website or go to http://lawyersnh.com/contact-us/.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Piedra.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.