Asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: My wife just received her green card, but everything came back under her maiden name. Is that normal?

I'm a US citizen and I sponsored her. Shouldn't all her documents come under her married name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Murphy
Thomas Murphy
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Waukesha, WI

A: It depends on the documents you provided when you filed and the name listed on those documents. Generally, the card would be issued under the name provided in the relevant documents unless you filed the petition with supplemental legal documents such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree, or court order that effected the name change. Nonetheless, you should be able to file an I-90 to replace her current Green Card with one that has her married name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.