Asked in Products Liability for Colorado

Q: I'm a survivor of Thalidomide born in 1962

and was born with my left leg being shorter than the right leg by 1/8 inch at birth. and I have paid for this every single day of my life and will until my death. I found out that In 2014 there was a new ruling on the case for the survivors of this drug. And I was tod that because I didn't contact the appropriate channels that I am not entitled to be compensated for my life long injury due to the drug given to my mother. PLEASE explain to me just how the limitations can be dismissed on this pertaining to my life when I have not committed any crime giving a state the right to end my life. And other than that ONLY GOD has the limitations on when my life will end. But the attorneys and courts have already decided that my time on earth is mute and may as well be considering me to be dead.... While I pay every single day until my death. When in fact my limitations have not ended until then.... WHERE'S MY JUSTICE?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Have you contacted a lawyer? Try contacting a law firm that specialized in Thalidomide (you do not need to restrict your search to firms in Colorado). I do not think that the statute of limitations has run on your claim, but check with an attorney who has knowledge of Thalidomide litigation (this is not a common claim for most attorneys).

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: The problem is that for any product there is a statute of limitations. Whether here, in the UK, inGermany, you certainly were aware of your problem because most of the deformities were of the 1:1,000,000 variety--sometimes called a "fingerprint abnormality" meaning one look and someone would have said "did your mum take thalidomide?"

At age 18 if not before you should have contacted one of the groups dealing with the national compensation programs.

Yes, in manhy cases statutes of limitation are unjust but deal with what is and focus your energies on seeing if there are any programs still or at least national sources of rehabilitiative or medical or health insurance assistance.

I suggest you contact Robbins, Zellle in Minneapolis to see if they know if anyone is handling these cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.