New York, NY asked in Uncategorized for New York

Q: Do I need a lawyer to provide notice for assigning (just my, not my roommates) obligations under a lease provision?

I signed a lease with a roommate, but now I need to get out of the lease and the apartment. My roommate wants to stay on the lease and in the apartment. So I want to know if I can get out of the lease and leave him on, by using the lease provision (relating to RPP Article 7, section 226-B) and providing notice to the management company of my intentions to assign my share of the obligation. I'm not sure if I just need to notify them of my intention to assign, or if I need to find someone to assign to first, and then make the request. Also, not sure if we can partially assign or if the law only allows for full assignment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Review the terms of your current lease to see if that's permitted. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.