Lowville, NY asked in Uncategorized for New York

Q: Is it legal to be threatened w/harm to a person/family if she does not pay to get out of an arranged marriage?

She is 25 yrs old and came into this country on a visitor's visa, entered into an arranged marriage, and does not want to live with the man she 'married'. She feels her 'mother-in-law' is using her as a servant, among other issues. She is being forced to pay $30,000 in order to get out of this marriage w/o threatened harm to herself and/or her family in Tibet. She is afraid to come forward & report this. I feel she is being forced to comply through extortion. Can she be protected legally if she does not pay the agreed upon 'fee'?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I see no legal basis to support the demand for payment. She can file for divorce. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.