Clermont, FL asked in Uncategorized for New York

Q: I need to know my rights regarding a car that was reposessed even though I paid every month for two and a half years

I made payments on time every month for 2 1/2 years on a car through Credit Acceptance. In December they received the payment after the due date (maybe due to Christmas I'm assuming). Instead of calling me to let me know (I would have paid the late fee) they reposessed the car with no notice. I called and asked why they didn't let me know and got nowhere. They had no right to reposes it in the first place. Now they keep calling me harassing me. I don't want this on my credit report. I have good credit and did nothing wrong. I am looking for an attorney to help me. I live in Holbrook NY. When my wife checked online with BBB there were numerous complaints about this company (we didn't check them out beforehand).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may be able to sue them. Have a lawyer review all related communications and agreements. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.