New York, NY asked in Uncategorized for New York

Q: How soon after I finish my requirements from ACS can I get unsupervised visits or more visit days with my son

My son has been in care for 5 years I have been absent for 1 year and came back in october 2015 and there is a TPR in place which I am going to appeal. My service plan was anger management, domestic violence, and parenting along with random drug testing that I have been passing . I requested unsupervised visits and everyone in the court was fine with it except my sons attorney because I also had to do mental health counseling along with drug and alcohol counseling (which my case planner did not tell me)....immediately after court I found my self a mental health counselor which I have been to my first intake and as well as my first individual followed by my next app. (which the day has not come yet) I have also started my first intake for drug and alcohol/ (random drug testing) counseling (I'm also pregnant about 2 give birth in 2 weeks so they know I will miss 1 app) i asked the supervisor if I can see my son 2x a week instead of 1x a week he said no I have 2 b in counseling 4 a while

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Have a lawyer review the facts. The court decides custody/ visitation based on the "best interests of the child." The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.