Los Angeles, CA asked in Uncategorized for Virginia

Q: filing citizenship

I am a green card holder and used to worked at gas station. I accidentally sold alcohol to minor and I got cought. Case went in court and I was ended up paying penalty. It's been over 5 years now. I am filling citizenship form and question came up that have even been involved in criminal case? Please advice?

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You really need to 1) be fully honest when filling out Form N-400 and 2) consult with an immigration attorney to help make sure whether your specific conviction and the timing of it is going to bar you from naturalizing. Based on the description, it sounds like you're still eligible, but since we don't have all the facts here, it's impossible to say for sure. Best to consult with an attorney for your own peace of mind.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.