Asked in Uncategorized for Virginia

Q: Can I still get child support if I get social security for my son based on his fathers eligibility?

I am in a pending divorce and my son's father has been less than helpful. We currently have joint custody that was made before marriage and since the split he has ran from his responsibilities. He is supposed to have my son on weekends, but nearly every weekend he has a story as to why he can't get him. So I will be filing for full custody of my son, because honestly I see no reason for joint custody if you're going to put in minimum effort. We made an agreement when we separated that he would pay half the cost of daycare and in the last 6 months hes maybe paid 3 weeks worth. So its pretty safe to say I'm tired of carrying the load on my own. I currently get social security for my son based on his fathers eligibility, he *ex-husband* gets full retirement and disability benefits and works. So I'm wondering if I could get child support him, even though i get a form of it through social security?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: He would get a credit for the amount that is paid for the child's benefit, but with other sources of income, the guideline child support might be higher than his credit for the child's derivative Social Security benefit. Consult with a family law attorney to help run potential guidelines, or contact the VA Division of Child Support Enforcement at 800-468-8894.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.