Snellville, GA asked in Family Law and Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: I am seeking advice on specific case regarding a serious injury and first time offense of a car wreck.

My boyfriend got in a wreck by reckless driving that caused his brother to have "serious injuries". It caused the brother to be hospitalized while his brain was healing. He basically was retaught stuff but it was mostly all him. He is perfectly fine and has no restrictions nor does he wish and charges on his brother when it was an accident. Now this was three months ago. The police harassed the mother for medical records of the brother and even called the dad who lives in another state for them. Now there is a warrant for his arrest and he is charged with reckless driving, failure to maintain lanes, speeding and serious injury. He has never had any legal issues so this is his first run in with the law. No one wants to press charges except the police and by doing this it is causing stress upon the whole family. On top of that he is not a minor yet they continue to call his mother when they have all his personal info to contact him. Should he worry to much or is there something fishy?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Windel Marsh Jr
Troy Windel Marsh Jr
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Statesboro, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Serious injury by vehicle is a felony. Your boyfriend needs to hire the best criminal defense lawyer he can afford, and follow that lawyer's advice. Quickly. The criminal case against your boyfriend is the state of Georgia versus your boyfriend, and the state of Georgia (through the District Attorney) is the one who gets to decide who to charge, which charges to file, and which charges not to file. If he hasn't already notified his liability insurer, he needs to do so IMMEDIATELY.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.