Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Adoption for Arizona

Q: my child support order says unknown father we were not married but he signed the birth certificate and his parents have

custody of the children. Why wasn't he ordered to pay as well. Children born in Nevada and adopted in NY and I live in Arizona where I pay child support. If the grandparents adopted them do I still have to pay - how do I find out if they were adopted. The children told me they were back in 2000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You should have been given notice of the adoption. Contact the court clerk in New York to find out about a possible adoption decree. If the children were adopted, normally neither parent would be required to continue making child support payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.