Waynesville, NC asked in Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for North Carolina

Q: If my father had been taken seriously, (when he said he could not breathe right), and instead of just being told

that he was FINE, and just needed to GO TO SLEEP, and that he was being discharged to rehab on Monday morning and the paper work had already been sent, if instead an xray had been taken, that would have shown that a blood clot was forming in his throat that was starting to block his airway, treatment could have been started in time to eliminate the clot, so he would not have suffocated to death. The autopsy showed this as cause of death. He kept telling the hosp staff he was having trouble and couldn't get his breath good but they just told him it was anxiety and lack of sleep. Then it was too late when the blood clot completely closed his airway and he sufficated to death. He could not be resuscitated. They said even if they did resuscitate him then he would be brain dead because he had been without oxygen too long. Could a wrongful death or medical negligence case be brought? This is still so difficult to live with every day that my father had to die like this when he asked for help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You need to contact a member of the North Carolina Trial Lawyers Assn who handles medical cases. They give free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.