Salt Lake City, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: do grandparents have to have consent from both parents to take child on trip outside state?

father lives with his parents and has temporary custody. He allowed his parents to take our child out of state without even talking to me about it before hand. when I clearly stated I was not in agreement with it, father acts like I have no say and he can do what he wants. What can I do about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel Sorensen
Samuel Sorensen
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: The answer to your question really depends on what you mean by "temporary custody". I am assuming that you and your child's father have joint legal custody, which would require that he notify you of the trip.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.