Norfolk, VA asked in Education Law for Virginia

Q: My boyfriend's parent moved to Texas and he lost his in state tuition to ODU. Is there anyway he can get in state tuitio

my boyfriends parent moved to Texas , he is still dependent but he doesn't want to move to Texas but he has to because he lost his instate tuition. Is there anyway he can get in state tuition for ODU in Norfolk ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Students are bound by ODU's policy and Virginia law regarding in-state tuition. Here is ODU's webpage on the matter:

If the parents have abandoned their VA domicile, the student may be eligible to continue receiving in-state tuition for one year. The law cited on ODU's webpage is at the following link, and you can read the applicable section by scrolling down to part "B," second paragraph, last sentence: (" If the person through whom the dependent student or unemancipated minor established such domicile and eligibility for in-state tuition abandons his Virginia domicile, the dependent student or unemancipated minor shall be entitled to such in-state tuition for one year from the date of such abandonment.")

Your boyfriend may require more guidance than this online forum allows. He should seek a local education attorney for a consultation. Good luck to you both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.