Anchorage, AK asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska

Q: I moved into an apt with my friend and her boyfriend. I was not on the lease.

They wanted my boyfriend to pay rent,but he doesn't live there just stays with me a couple times a week. When I said no,they told me if i didnt like it i could leave,so i did. Now they are demanding rent because i didnt give them 30 day notice. Am I liable for my share of the rent? I moved in the middle of the month,i had already paid for and when i came back for my stuff they locked me out and i had to get the manager to help me get in.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: Yes, because you paid them some rent, they could demand that you continue to pay rent until you gave them notice of your intent to vacate. They were not entitled to lock you out. It appears, however, that they cured that "wrongful ouster" when the manager helped you get back in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.