Allison Park, PA asked in Elder Law, Estate Planning and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What can I do to become executor when named executor moved out of state?

My mother named in her will my brother to be executor, durable power of attorney for her finances and healthcare/advanced directives. My brother announced in the second week of July he was moving out of state to build a new house and retire. My mother then tried to change her will and have me to become her power of attorney and executor but ( I believe because of the added stress) had a stroke two weeks later and three months later died before this was completed. She even told her doctor that this was why she was depressed and was losing will to live.The doctor instructed me to get this completed but she could not get this finished because her lawyer took too long to come see her and the one day that he did come she was too ill so was come back but did not on the day specified and she died waiting. This is only a small part of my issues and problems with the handling of this estate and its executor. Is there any thing I can do on this subject?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I am not sure what your question is. The fact that your brother is moving out-of-state does not prevent him from continuing to serve as Executor of the estate. If, however, your brother chooses not to continue to serve as Executor, a lawyer can prepare a simple form for him to renounce, i.e., to quit. The lawyer could then prepare a simple petition for you to become the substitute fiduciary. If you are actually named in the Will as the alternate, you would be the new Executrix. If you are not named in the Will as an alternate, you would become an Administratrix (with some letters after the designation). Although the title is different, the roles and powers are the same.

You need a lawyer to do this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.