Birmingham, AL asked in Criminal Law and Car Accidents for Alabama

Q: My car was involved in a hit and run with no leads two nights ago; man can to door today and confessed to the incident

My car was hit two nights ago and totaled and the person responsible fled the scene and we were unable to identify anyone responsible. A police report was filed. Today the man responsible came to our house and admitted fault and left his information. Because of the loan I had out for the car and the current value I will be out of a car completely with no money left over for a new vehicle. Is this grounds for a case?? And if so is there any 24/7 lawyer phone consultation service to call and speak to someone? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Damashek
Jonathan Damashek
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: The police should be notified immediately so they can generate an accident report. You should also call your insurance carrier and give them the information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.