Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Minnesota

Q: Can my daughter be charged or questioned without my permission?

My daughter who is 16 was told by three girls they are going to jump her after school. My daughter then called her two cousins, they then came up to the school and confronted the girls. They were all yelling and screaming at each other when a teacher came out, grabbed my daughter and took her into the principals office. While my daughter was in the office one of her cousins started fighting with one of the girls. The police want to question my daughter and have threaten that if she doesn't give the names of her cousin they will charge her with a crime.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Hire an attorney to stand between your daughter and the police, it will be money well spent. Unfortunately, I cannot provide advice here because I do not know the specifics of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.