Hartley, IA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Iowa

Q: Can person "sell" their own property to their girlfriend/boyfriend in a domestic situation?

Man owns a mobile home. His mother and girlfriend live in the same home. His girlfriend pays rent and other bills. His mother does not. His mother attacks his girlfriend and he gets in the middle to prevent more physical harm to the girlfriend. Mother calls cops. Cops arrest man. Can man sell his mobile home to his girlfriend in order to have his mother removed? No contact order is automatic in this case. Man can not even enter his own home that he legally owns.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas A. Sarcone
Nicholas A. Sarcone
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: It is not necessary to sell your mobile home in order to evict your mother. There is an eviction process which a lawyer can help you with. The lawyer is allowed contact with the protected party and can therefore effectuate the eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.