Pittsburgh, PA asked in Adoption and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Husband has criminal record from 15yrs ago (robbery & aggr assault). If we get governor pardon will we qualify to adopt?

My husband and I are working to get him a governor pardon so we will be able to adopt. I am also wondering if we need to get a pardon for all the past crimes or if it is just the aggravated assault that is going to pose an issue. He is really a good person who had a very harsh childhood, made a few little bad decision and had very bad legal counseling. He never hired a lawyer to help him in court and always pleaded guilty without asking too many questions. He never hurt anyone and I am sure that if he had had a lawyer that time, the aggravated assault would just have been a resisting arrest. We are open to domestic, international or foster care adoption. I will never be able to have a child by myself for medical reasons and I would really like a family. I feel that my husband and I will be great adoptive parent and will have a lot to bring and to teach to a child. We are currently trying to figure out our options so we will be able to have a family within the next 5/10 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
R. Patrick Link
R. Patrick Link
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Governors pardons are hard to come by, and you will need a lawyer to walk you through the process. As far as what impact the convictions and/or a pardon could have on your adoption chances, that question is best answered by a family law attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.