Wayne, PA asked in Intellectual Property for Pennsylvania

Q: Am I infringing on a word mark using THIS name?

My brother and I own a vineyard / winery in PA (Jackson Winery -- name has been changed to protect the innocent / guilty). We received a warning from 'Jackson Winery' in Washington State that we must stop using their trademarked name (we checked with the USPTO; they do own the word mark). Would we be able to call ourselves 'Jackson Brothers Winery' or 'Jackson Brothers Vineyard' without running amok of the trademark?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan Charles Pappas
Evan Charles Pappas
  • Lemoyne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The answer to this question may depend on how long you have been using the mark in commerce. Although this other winery may have a registered trademark (you refer to the "word" mark), this fact alone does not completely answer the question. If your use of the name predates their use and/or the date they received their federal registration, you may have superior rights in your be able to continue using the mark - although it may be in a limited geography. Any use that you made prior to their mark becoming registered may have developed "common law" rights and, may be effective even after their registration was issued.

This response is intended to be general and for information purposes only. Any specific advice pertinent to your specific situation could be rendered after we establish an attorney client relationship. Feel free to contact me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.